Frequently Asked Questions

What is a doctor of Internal Medicine?
Physicians who practice Internal Medicine are often called "internists." Internists are physicians who specialize in treating adults.  They provide care for acute problems such as colds and injuries, routine health care examinations, guidance for disease prevention and follow-up for complex medical problems.

Do I need to see an gynecologist in addition to an internist?
Internists can provide routine pap smears and pelvic exams.  Some patients prefer to continue seeing a gynecologist for their exams, while their internist manages their other problems.

Do you see children?
We see patients who are 18 years or older.

If I am hospitalized, will my doctor take care of me?
Several of the physicians at Lincoln Internal Medicine Associates continue to follow their patients if hospitalization is required, but some do not.  If you are hospitalized and your physician does not round at the hospital, you will be cared for by the hospitalist, a physician who only works inside the hospital.